Feather is the new development board from Adafruit, and like its
namesake it is thin, light, and lets you fly! We designed Feather to
be a new standard for portable microcontroller cores.
This is the Adafruit Feather 32u4 FONA - our take on an 'all-in-one'
Arduino-compatible + audio/sms/data capable cellular with built in USB
and battery charging. Its an Adafruit Feather 32u4 with a FONA800
module, ready to rock!
At the Feather 32u4's heart is at ATmega32u4 clocked at 8 MHz and at
3.3V logic, a chip setup we've had tons of experience with as it's the
same as the Flora. This chip has 32K of flash and 2K of RAM, with
built in USB so not only does it have a USB-to-Serial program & debug
capability built in with no need for an FTDI-like chip, it can also
act like a mouse, keyboard, USB MIDI device, etc.
Since you'll be taking this on the road, we added a connector for any
of our 3.7V Lithium polymer batteries and built in battery charging. A
500mAh+ Lipoly battery is required for use, it keeps the cellular
module happy during the high current spikes. Plug the Feather into
microUSB to charge at 500mA.
Here's some handy specs! Like all Feather 32u4's you get:
* Measures 2.4" x 0.9" x 0.28" (61mm x 23mm x 7mm) without headers
* Light as a (large?) feather - 8.2 grams
* ATmega32u4 @ 8MHz with 3.3V logic/power
* 3.3V regulator with 500mA peak current output
* USB native support, comes with USB bootloader and serial port
* You also get tons of pins - 20 GPIO pins
* Hardware Serial, hardware I2C, hardware SPI support
* 8 x PWM pins
* 10 x analog inputs
* Built in 500mA lipoly charger with charging status indicator LED
* Pin #13 red LED for general purpose blinking
* Power/enable pin for the 3.3V regulator
* 4 mounting holes
* Reset button
Connect your Feather to the Internet or make phone calls with our
trusted-and-tested FONA module. At the heart is a GSM cellular module
(we use the latest SIM800) the size of a postage stamp. This module
can do just about everything.
* Quad-band 850/900/1800/1900MHz - connect onto any global GSM
network with any 2G SIM (in the USA, T-Mobile is suggested)
* Make and receive voice calls using an external 8 speaker +
* Send and receive SMS messages
* Send and receive GPRS data (TCP/IP, HTTP, etc.)
* Scan and receive FM radio broadcasts (yeah, we don't exactly know
why this was included but it works really well)
* AT command interface with "auto baud" detection
* Pair-able Bluetooth client interface with SPP (for controlling the
module) as well as audio.
You will also need some required accessories to make Feather FONA
work. These are not included!
* SIM Card! - A 2G Mini SIM card is required to do anything on the
* Lipoly Battery - 500mAh or larger!
* MicroUSB cable for charging the battery.
* External Antenna - We like this slim sticker-type, which plugs
right in. Alternatively, this straight SMA one or this right-angle SMA
one will work but you'll also need a uFL to SMA adapter cable so you
can connect to your SMA antenna
* External Mic & Speaker - If you want to make phone calls, you'll
also need this electret mic and mini 8 ohm speaker … more
|Product type||Electronics module|
If you wish to learn more about this product, please visit the manufacturer's website or contact us: email@example.com
Warranty 24 month Bring-in
Limited right of return
Please use our simplified returns and warranty process to return a product or register a warranty case. Returns and warranty
Please use our simplified warranty process to view the warranty period as well as any warranty extensions you may have purchased. This will ensure that your return or warranty case is processed quickly and effectively.
Information subject to change.
Have you tested this product? Share your opinion with the digitec community.Rate product
You're not connected to the Internet. Please check that your connection is enabled to keep browsing the site.