Ring, Ring! Who's that callin'? It's your breadboard! Introducing
Adafruit FONA MiniGSM, an adorable all-in-one cellular phone module
that lets you add voice, text, SMS and data to your project in an
adorable little package.
This module measures only 1.75"x1.25" but packs a surprising amount
of technology into its little frame. At the heart is a GSM cellular
module (we use the latest SIM800) the size of a postage stamp. This
module can do just about everything. This version has a uFL connector.
* Quad-band 850/900/1800/1900MHz - connect onto any global GSM
network with any 2G SIM (in the USA, T-Mobile is suggested)
* Make and receive voice calls using a headset OR an external 8
speaker + electret microphone
* Send and receive SMS messages
* Send and receive GPRS data (TCP/IP, HTTP, etc.)
* Scan and receive FM radio broadcasts (yeah, we don't exactly know
why this was included but it works really well)
* PWM/Buzzer vibrational motor control
* AT command interface with "auto baud" detection
Sounds delicious, right? So we plated this fine module onto a little
breakout with all the extras you need to make your next project shine:
* Onboard LiPoly battery charging circuitry so you can take your
project on the go. Use any 500mAh+ LiPoly or LiIon battery and
recharge over the MicroUSB when necessary. Two LEDs let you know when
its charging and done
* Standard 4-pole TRRS headphone jack. Use any 'Android' or
'iPhone'-compatible headset with mic
* Breakouts for external 8 speaker and electret mic if you don't
want to use a headphone
* Level shifting circuitry so you can run it with 2.8V to 5V logic.
* Vibrational motor (buzzer) driver so you can have noiseless
* uFL connections for external antenna
* Indicator LEDs for power and network connectivity
* Standard SIM slides into the back
On its own, this module can't do anything. It requires a
microcontroller to drive it! We suggest and use an Arduino but any
3-5V microcontroller with a UART can send and receive commands over
the RX/TX pins.
You will also need some required accessories to make FONA work. These
are not included!
* SIM Card! A 2G Mini SIM card is required to do anything on the
* Lipoly Battery - 500mAh or larger!
* MicroUSB cable for charging the battery.
* External Antenna…more