Garmin is going rectangular – the Venu SQ and Venu SQ Music
Anyone interested in smartwatches has probably noticed quite a few models with rectangular displays. One explanation for this phenomenon: using the touch screen is probably easier. After all, smartwatches are often seen as a small smartphone for your wrist. Or you could argue in regards to fashion: in a world of round watches, a rectangular version is simply more striking. Either that, or this shape is simply more suitable for everyday use.
In addition to hardware, the software also plays a central role in smartwatches.
The Garmin Venu SQ carries a variety of health and fitness functions. It's compatible with iOS and Android, can be connected via the well-known Garmin Connect App and can do almost everything that previous Garmin smartwatches could. The three Music models also offer room for about 500 songs (MP3 or downloaded offline playlists via Spotify, Deezer or Amazon Music).
Venu SQ Music
Specs and functions at a glance
As it often is, listing the almost countless functions and components of this new smartwatch isn't a simple task. I'll try anyway:
- Display: 1.3'' (3.3cm) TFT colour display with a touch screen.
- Display protection: Corning gorilla glass.
- Bezel material: aluminium.
- Weight: 37.4g.
- Battery life: 6 days during normal use, 14h with active GPS and 6h with active GPS + music.
- Compatibility: iOS and Android.
- Storage: 4 GB (only with the Venu SQ Music).
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and ANT.
- Waterproof: up to 50 m meters (5 ATM).
- Bracelet: silicone, interchangeable with all Standard Quick Release 20 mm bracelets.
- Sensors: heart rate sensor, accelerometer, compass, pulse oximeter (SpO2) and ambient light sensor.
- Sports: 20+ sports functions (running, cycling, swimming, hiking, yoga, Pilates, weight training, etc.) with VO2max indication.
- Training functions: 50+ pre-installed training sessions with instructions (for weight training, yoga, Pilates, cardio or breathing exercises, etc.) as well as the Garmin Coach function with individual training plans for your running goals.
- Additional functions: GPS (as well as GLONASS and Galileo), Garmin Pay, music control, music memory (Venu SQ Music only), blood oxygen content (SpO2), pulse measurement (even when swimming), stress level measurement (incl. relaxation exercises), sleep analysis (incl. breathing rate), menstrual cycle, water consumption (recorded fluid intake per day), automatic accident notification and emergency assistance, smart notifications, calendar, weather report, find my phone, pedometer, calories, etc.
Competition – win one of three Venu SQ Music models
Have you been looking for a smartwatch upgrade? Or are you already Christmas shopping?
Win one of three new Venu SQ Music models!
Want to participate? Select your desired model from the list below and with one click you'll be entered into the raffle. Competition valid through 23.10.2020, winners will be contacted directly.
Garmin Smartwatch Competition
Which Venu SQ Music model would you like to win?
- The black model (the «Classic»)53%
- The beige/rose gold model (the «Eye-catcher»)16%
- The dark blue/white gold model (the «Underdog»)30%
The competition has ended.
Matching bracelets for more variety
Along with new smartwatches, Garmin is also releasing several new original interchangeable wristbands.
If you don't like the new colours or you're really looking for a leather bracelet, there are many alternatives. All Standard Quick Release 20 mm wristbands are compatible with the new Venu SQ models.
Venu SQ vs. Vivoactive 4
The Venu SQ has a popular round cousin: the Vivoactive 4, released back in September 2019. In addition to a new design, new shape and more recent release date, the Venu SQ is slightly lighter than the Vivoactive 4.
The models are identical in terms of (sports) functions. Differences can be found in the display technology (TFT instead of MIP) and the material used (aluminium instead of stainless steel).
Unlike the Vivoactive 4, the Venu SQ doesn't have a barometer or gyroscope sensor. However, most of you probably don't care about that.
Want more? Follow me!
Interested in wearables and mobile accessories? Don't miss any more news and promotions in the future. Log into your account and click «Follow author» on my profile.